5 Best Old Testament Scriptures for Funerals
We have listed here the best Old Testament Scriptures for funerals, all taken from the Bible and collected for your use and benefit.
This post is intended to help you find everything you need in one spot, so please take the time to watch the quick video, and look at the awesome FREE infographic at the end called “Planning a meaningful Funeral Ceremony”
You found the right article, so slow down, and take a few minutes to maximize your time here.
Getting prepared, and having the right mindset before attending a funeral is always a wise idea. It would be good to start with a quick refresher on funeral etiquette.
There is not a worse place to misunderstand proper etiquette and behavior than at a funeral. It may cause an offense that will last a lifetime.
Get started here with a great, short video on funeral etiquette (2:30 minutes) as your quick refresher.
(This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products.)
Now that you have had a quick refresher on funeral etiquette, let’s get into a few Old Testament Scriptures for funerals.
Of course, it is ALWAYS appropriate to have Funeral Flowers sent to the family, or have them sent to your address, and deliver them personally to the memorial. It is a warm gesture.
Also, there are a variety of great funeral guidebooks that are helpful if you will be involved with doing funerals from time to time. We would recommend you order a couple so that you have them on hand when you need them on short notice.
If you are planning a funeral right now, here is a great downloadable Kindle book we recommend for planning an honorable and respectable funeral on a budget:
The budget saving downloadable Kindle book is “The Ultimate Funeral Cost-Cutting Guide: Step-by-step instructions showing you how to plan the cheapest funeral possible with the most meaning possible.” by Susan Nolan
Here is a quick reference list of our recommended Old Testament scriptures for funerals:
- Psalm 23:1-6
- Psalm 56:8
- Psalm 116:15
- Isaiah 25:7-9
- Zephaniah 3:17
You will find all of these scriptures in full, in this post below:
- Psalm 23:1–6 “The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.”
Psalm 23 is also known as the “Shepherds Psalm” and has comforted countless thousands of people at funerals for generations. You may think that it is overused, however, as one of the favorite Old Testament scriptures for funerals, it has become a beloved expectation by many who attend the funeral of a loved one.
- Psalm 56:8 “Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?”
The thought that the Lord has known a person all of their life, even in their “wanderings” is an intimate thought. The tears of life do not go unnoticed by the Lord, they are collected and recorded in His book. What a compassionate God we serve.
- Psalm 116:15 “Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.”
This another one of the time-tested and genuine Old Testament Scriptures for funerals, and is used by many as a blessed reference to God’s attendance in times of loss and grief over a loved one.
- Isaiah 25:7–9 “And he will destroy in this mountain the face of the covering cast over all people, and the vail that is spread over all nations. 8 He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all the earth: for the LORD hath spoken it. 9 And it shall be said in that day, Lo, this is our God; we have waited for him, and he will save us: this is the LORD; we have waited for him, we will be glad and rejoice in his salvation.”
The key portion of this scripture is found in verse 8, which speaks of death being swallowed up in victory, and the Lord wiping away all the tears. There is great comfort in these Old Testament scriptures for funerals.
- Zephaniah 3:17 “The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.”
This is another one of the comforting Old Testament scriptures for funerals because it speaks of God’s presence with the mourning, and his joy and love being there, with singing.
Glance through this quick reference guide to “Planning a Meaningful Funeral Ceremony“. Take your time…